KNOWING YOURSELF – KAIZEN LIFE SPARK (CHARLOTTE STEBBING-MILLS)
Know Yourself Blog
“To know thyself is the beginning of wisdom” – Socrates
Many people attach their identity to something external without even realising it. They attach it to relationships, sports, careers, music amongst others. This happens because it’s easy to attach yourself to something else that exists, especially if it’s something you seek pleasure in but often when this happens our feeling of wholeness and self-expression gets neglected.
Knowing yourself will take more time than simply aligning yourself with something external. If we truly know ourselves we see a host of benefits. We are genuinely happier in the present moment and long term, we make better decisions, we can resist peer pressure, increase our performance in both social, personal and high-pressure environments, and we know what we want and where we are going. Who wouldn’t want all these benefits?
Check out 3 tips on how to get to know yourself better.
1. Values are our book of rules that we revert back to at any given moment. They are the things that we truly believe in and that we hold high regard for in our lives.
– List your top 5 values and describe them.
2. Characteristics are a key go to when knowing yourself. Identifying our personality will teach us how we naturally show up and engage with the world. For example, do you like being in large groups of people, or do you prefer more intimate small groups of people to hang out with? Do you act upon emotion or on facts? Are you laid back or have a sense of urgency in what you do?
Identify and describe your top 5 characteristics and how these help you in your everyday life.
3. Purpose is a term which gets thrown around when learning about oneself. The idea of purpose here is to ask yourself if you had the opportunity to have any impact on the world, what would it be? Purpose stems from anything meaningful to YOU. Everyone is different.
– Think back to any moments which have been meaningful to you and list them.
– Use what you learned from the last question and answer: if you had the opportunity to have any impact on the world, what would it be?
Let’s face it, if you don’t know who you are, how will anyone else be able to get to know you? We are forever changing, growing and evolving so don’t be surprised if your answers to these questions change. That’s ok, so long as you are aware and being your authentic self.
Until next time, keep learning and keep growing.
IF YOU LOVE THE KAIZEN LIFE SPARK AS MUCH AS WE DO THEN GET YOURSELF A COPY OF MINDSHIFT MAP TODAY VIA THE LINK BELOW